Tuesday, July 31, 2007

voltigeurs

Here's a quick post of two miniatures, one I just finished painted and the other is an older miniature I painted three years ago, one of the very first miniatures I painted when I first got into Napoleonic gaming. The first figure is going to be the french officer leading the voltigeur company of my 72nd regiment. He is apart of the 1815 French range from the perry brothers, the code for this particular officer is FN22 Line Officers Advancing.
This happy go lucky fella is an officer from the 2nd Hussar Regiment, and as I said before he is one of the very first figures I ever painted. He doesn't take part in the 1815 Waterloo affair but when I first got into Napoleonics I wasn't very organized so I didn't know which era and which army I wanted to paint, so I started to painted a little bit of everything-French,British,Prussians and Bavarians. The reason I painted him as part of the 2nd Hussar regiment is because one of the first pictures I saw of an hussar was one from the 2nd hussar regiment thus the choice of colours.
This particular gentleman and I use the term lightly, because all us napoleonic buffs know that the hussar's had a reputation as fierce warriors and soldiers and even fiercer at being gentleman. They were famous for being wildly barbaric drunkards and doing and taking anything they wanted, especially wine and women. Thus the romantic idea of the Dual was invented, propelled and made to look as a way of keeping your honour. No other particular army group fought more duals than the hussar regiments, and no other army group embodied all the good and bad qualities of a soldier as the hussar, Napoleon's finest, and just to give you an example we do not have to look further than the self imposed leader of the hussar's, Lasalle himself, enough said. This particular gentleman can be found at the Wargamesfoundry website under the Napoleonic section under the code FN229 Hussar Centre Company Full Dress Command. Once again thanks for looking and reading the rambling-ons of a fellow Napoleonic enthusiast.

No comments: